Home is where you live and also where you love. That is why it is so important that you feel more comfortable there. When you decide to renew the style of the tiles on the walls or floors of your house, we know that the result will give your home a new life, a new environment.
This process can be very difficult and expensive, but if you choose to buy a specific tile paint, it will be much easier and above all much cheaper. Do not worry! We can help you choose the perfect product through our buying guide, which you will find below.
- 1 The most important
- 2 The best tile paints on the market: our recommendations
- 3 Buying Guide: Everything You Should Know About Tile Paint
- 4 Purchase criteria
- 5 Summary
The most important
- Buying specific tile paint is an excellent solution that saves you from having to totally renovate your home and at the same time get it a new look.
- The procedure for painting the tiles by hand is easy to carry out even for those with little manual skill.
- From the paint you choose, you can achieve different results and finishes. So it is important to have a clear idea and select the right paint according to your needs.
The best tile paints on the market: our recommendations
Are you tired of always seeing the same tiles and colors on the walls of your house? Have you decided that buying a specific paint is the best solution for your needs?
We have good news: you are in the right place! Here we summarize some of the best tile products that you can use to change the style of your kitchen, bathroom or deck.
Buying Guide: Everything You Should Know About Tile Paint
Have you ever heard that removing old tiles and laying new ones is an excessive effort in terms of time and cost? Then trying the right paint, which will give your tiles a new life at a much more reasonable cost, is definitely the solution for you.
Next we will help you choose the painting through some questions. We will try to resolve any questions, making you reflect on the most important aspects to take into account.
What type of paint to use for tiles?
Choosing the perfect type of paint to renew your tiles is not so easy, you have to take into account several factors. In this section we will try to clarify the different types that are in the market so that, once you have all the information, you can make the choice that best suits your needs.
The first thing you should know is that you need a special paint to paint your tiles, otherwise you will have to apply several products. We can say that the products available on the market are divided into two categories: enamels and resins.
|It is usually the easiest solution to apply, as it is more elastic than other paint. Furthermore, enamels have a chemical component that makes them particularly resistant to scratching and cleaning with detergents. They are very opaque and can be applied in two layers. They can be found oil-based (synthetic enamel) or water-based (acrylic enamel).||It is an excellent alternative solution to glazes for painting tiles. Unlike enamels, resins are always two-component products and are sold with a separately packaged hardener (anchor primer). They cost more than enamels, but we can say that the end result is better and more complete.|
As described in the table, enamels are mainly divided into:
- Oil-based enamel, leaves a shiny result, is resistant to moisture. It dries really fast so it’s ideal if you don’t have a lot of time to do this job. Stains are easily removed with white spirit or thinner. It has a defect in the white coloration, in fact with time, it can yellow.
- Water-based enamel has a less shiny finish. It takes longer to dry, but, unlike oil varnish, it is very resistant to water and does not yellow over time. It also has a more pleasant smell because it does not contain solvents and is more environmentally friendly. Paint residue can be easily removed with soap and water.
How to prepare tile paint?
The preparation consists of thoroughly cleaning the surface on which you are going to work. First of all, we recommend that you wear sturdy gloves, a mask, and possibly goggles.
Next, the tiles must be thoroughly degreased before painting. To do this, you can use a sponge soaked in water and caustic soda, acetone or a specific product depending on the paint you are going to use. Now you can rinse the surface with water and let the tiles dry perfectly.
The second step is to mark the area to be treated with adhesive tape, thus protecting the areas that are not going to be painted. We also recommend that you repair the cracks in the joints. To do this, simply fill them with suitable tile grout, using a spatula. Once the grout is dry, remember to remove any excess.
If you are using a resin paint, you will need to apply a specific primer coat with a brush or roller.
In the case of specific glazes for tiles, no primer should be applied.
What technique to use to paint tiles by hand?
Once the preparation phase is finished, it is time to paint. Below we advise you how to follow the technique step by step to achieve a perfect result for your tiles.
- First, we advise you not to take the paint directly from the can, but to put the amount you need, step by step, in a separate tray. The most correct way to apply the paint is from the outside to the inside with a sponge roller to obtain a completely smooth surface.
- To cover the tile joints well, start by placing the enamel on the joints in the first area you are going to paint and immediately afterwards apply the product with the roller on the tiles. In this way, the joints will be well covered from the first coat and the excess will be distributed with the roller.
- Another very important tip is to check the pressure applied to the tiles during painting, which should always be the same if possible, as it affects the distribution of the product. If you can pay close attention at this stage, you will get a smooth surface.
- Now you have to let the first layer dry. You will always find the drying time on the label of the product you have purchased. Now you can proceed with the second coat of paint.
- We recommend applying a varnish that helps the paint stay longer, especially in specific cases such as if you have ceramic tiles. Varnish also helps prevent large amounts of staining or dusting.
What tile paint is recommended for the exterior of your home?
When it comes to the exterior tiles of your house, we recommend that you go for epoxy paints. They are used for special purposes and are high performance paints. They are recommended for painting the tiles because they guarantee properties such as:
- Resistance to mechanical stress
- Resistance to solvents and petroleum products
- Resistance to atmospheric agents
- Fire resistance
Also, these paints have high decorative qualities. They are suitable for both wall and floor coverings, as they are able to support any weight of the furniture.
How does the tile paint look?
Painting the tiles is an excellent solution when you want to give your home a new look (kitchen, bathroom, terrace, etc.).
It does not require the effort of a total renovation, which obviously limits both time and costs. However, many people keep wondering:
Is it worth limiting costs and time? Will I be satisfied with the end result?
The answer is definitely yes: renovating your tiles using the special paints mentioned above guarantees a totally satisfactory and quality end result. Therefore, you can unleash your imagination, changing the design, renovating the tiles only partially or decorating them if you have good dexterity. Many choose to restore the original shine without having to touch the color.
Ultimately, the choice is totally personal, but what is certain is that you will be fully satisfied once the work is finished.
How to remove tile paint?
The most important thing to know is that it is not possible to restore the tiles to their original appearance, as it will be very difficult to achieve a beautiful and quality finish. For this reason we want to teach you how to remove enamel paint from your tiles to repaint them obtaining a quality finish.
First of all, you have to assess the condition of the tiles.
If there are few signs of wear, therefore the paint is well preserved and the change is strictly for aesthetic reasons, the removal process will not be expensive. On the contrary, if you want to remove the paint because it is worn with signs of aging, it will probably be a bit more difficult and expensive to do so.
- Good condition: If you are in the first situation and your paint is still in good condition, you will need a fine sandpaper. You will have to work by hand and be careful not to sand too hard to avoid damaging the tile. You will need to remove the top coat of paint, to remove the shine. Especially in this case, pay attention to the parts where there was an excess of paint, for example in the corners or joints. Once the first coat is finished, continue to apply the last coat with an extra fine sandpaper. This operation tries to level the wall as much as possible so that when it is repainted, a professional finish is achieved.
- Bad condition: On the contrary, if your tiles are in bad condition? Unfortunately there is no other option but to remove the worn paint layer because painting over it directly would be a big mistake. The best option you have in this case is to buy a medium-coarse grit sandpaper and also buy a tile stripper. Once you have purchased these products, you just have to be patient and get going. Select the areas where the paint is not in good condition and use the stripper to remove all the paint down to the original tile. If you find well-preserved areas, you can also just use sandpaper.
If you can’t wait to paint the tiles in your house, now is the time to know some basic criteria that will guide you in choosing the perfect paint for your needs.
Typically when it comes to tile paint, we immediately think of wall tiles. In reality, there are different glazes for tiles on the market that can be the perfect solution for a wide variety of applications, including:
- Painting the tiles that cover the bathroom walls
- Painting kitchen tiles, countertops, and masonry kitchens
- Using paint to cover old ceramic floors to change their color and hide imperfections
- Covering discolored and worn exterior floors, such as tiles on decks, balconies, and porches
Therefore, we recommend that you first identify what type of tiles you need to renovate in your home. This will be the first step on the way to buying the right product for your needs.
The choice of the color of the tile paint is, without a doubt, a totally subjective decision, which depends on the personal taste of each one. To guide yourself in choosing the right color, it is important to take into account the type of effect you want to achieve in the environment in which you work.
Choosing the right color is essential to provide spaces with greater spaciousness and luminosity or, on the contrary, seclusion and warmth.
- Soft colors and pastel tones create an airy and airy effect. However, at the same time, these cooler colors can be unwelcoming.
- Warm colors such as ocher, red or orange will make your home more welcoming and pleasant, but being strong colors they can tire more easily over time.
Decide what kind of atmosphere you want to create with your painting, and why not, to give it a modern touch, don’t be afraid to be too daring!
Another important factor when deciding which paint to use is choosing what type of effect and finish to give the tiles. This will vary depending on both the environment in which you are going to work and your personal tastes. The glazes for tiles are available in different finishes: glossy, matte or satin.
When choosing what type of finish, you should take into account that the brighter the enamel, the more visible the imperfections will be (as can happen with water splashes). If what you need is to hide the flaws, we recommend a matte finish, which will also give a more rustic effect.
- Glossy enamel: the brightest, since it reflects the light of the environment. A matte enamel base can be used on top.
- Satin enamel: we recommend it for places with little natural lighting, as it reflects light delicately. It is more difficult to apply because the imperfections are more noticeable.
- Matte enamel: it is used as a base to apply the gloss. It is used if you want to reduce the effect of light, that is, in already very bright environments.
Another key aspect to take into account when choosing the product is its adherence. For this reason, we recommend that you choose a specific glaze for tiles that, compared to other types of paint, stands out for its perfect adherence to surfaces and for offering a more durable final result.
In order to have a good level of adhesion and optimal coverage, on the contrary, resins first require the use of a primer, which must be applied with a brush or roller.
When buying tile paint, you need to pay attention to its physical and chemical characteristics, which are usually listed on the label. This will affect another important factor, which is stamina. When we talk about resistance, in reference to tile paint, we mean:
- Resistance to bad weather
- Water resistance (waterproof)
- Oil and gasoline resistance
- Heat resistance
- Resistance to chemical factors
Here there is also a wide offer. More generally, resin paints are much stronger than normal enamels and guarantee a long service life. That is why resins are especially suitable for painting tiles, as they can withstand the passage of people and the weight of furniture and objects, as well as rain and bad weather in the case of outdoor floors.
We’ve reached the end of our tile paints buying guide, let’s now summarize the highlights as we see them together. If you want to renew the tiles on the walls of your kitchen or bathroom, or on the floor of your terrace, an excellent easy and cheap solution is to do it yourself. You can buy a specific product like a water-based or oil-based tile polish, or a resin. The latter, although it is available on the market at higher prices, guarantees a result that we can define as almost professional.
Obviously, your manual skill will influence the result of the application. However, we guarantee that the technique is very simple and, depending on the product you choose, you will assess how many layers of product to apply. Drying and laying times are, on average, very short. You can take advantage of a free weekend and in about 2 days your house will have a totally different appearance.
Today tile paints are available in different colors, so choose your paint without putting limits on your imagination and creativity! By now you are ready, what are you waiting for to start?