Working with space, rejecting top cabinets and comfortable minimalism – we tell you what trends in kitchen design 2023 and what styles will be relevant.
Trends change every year, but it is also unlikely that it will be possible to make repairs and update the interior. In this article, we have collected not just fashionable trends in kitchen design with photo examples, but selected sustainable trends that will set the tone for kitchen interiors for more than one season. Also, you will find a selection of styles that will not lose their relevance in the coming years.
- 1 How to create a trendy kitchen design in 2023
- 2 Actual kitchen interior styles 2023
How to create a trendy kitchen design in 2023
You won’t surprise anyone with a combined kitchen-living room – the fashion trend has long since passed into the category of classics. The concept of a single space, within which one can cook, communicate with family or friends, work and relax, is firmly entrenched both in the minds of people and in the layouts of new apartments. There are more and more Euro-duplexes and Euro-grills – this is housing designed according to European canons, where bedrooms are made small and isolated, and up to 50% of the area is allocated for a spacious kitchen-living room, where all life is in full swing.
What is important to consider when designing such a space?
- The main idea is unity. Do not pile up walls and partitions, do not block the light, do not divide the room into small, cramped areas. This is especially important for small apartments where you need to create the illusion of a spacious room.
- The main problem of such a neighborhood is that sounds and smells from the cooking zone will soar in the living room. The problem is solved by a powerful hood and good ventilation. If you cook a lot, and you need to create privacy in the hall, you can use light partitions, preferably transparent or at least letting in light. The best options are glass screens, mobile screens and rack structures.
- The cooking area is most often made discreet, shifting the focus of attention to the living room with a sofa group. To do this, you will need laconic facades, hidden storage systems (including household appliances) and a neutral palette that will practically blend in with the finish.
- The standard way to zone the cooking area and living area of the room is with a dining group located between them and forming a smooth transition. This can be a full-fledged dining table or a bar counter , depending on the lifestyle of the owners.
2. Natural colors
Another long-term trend that is unlikely to lose popularity in the next few years. But the natural palette is diverse, and the fashion within this spectrum changes. Experts from the Pantone Color Institute and trend forecasting company WGSN have identified the directions that will be trending in 2023.
The dark brown palette is being replaced by lighter tones. The most popular choice is a combo of beige and light gray, which can be additionally diluted with a white base or, conversely, with accents. It turns out an airy and light design with a curtsey towards the Scandinavian style. Photos of desert dunes and white sand can be used for inspiration.
A natural palette cannot be imagined without green. This color, in any form, immediately refreshes the interior and is perfect for the kitchen. In the coming year, the emphasis will be on muted and soothing, stable shades. So, for facades, the color of sage is suitable with a departure to gray (for a lighter color scheme) or a deep and warm tone of olive oil (for a darker one). They can also be used as accents.
Bright facades are gradually beginning to take the palm from neutral monochrome compositions. In the near future, the peak of popularity of any variations of blue is expected: shades of the cold waters of the Atlantic Ocean, thunderclouds, indigo, sky on a sunny day, pale blue.
All kinds of soil colors are still in the top trendy colors. Deep browns are a good base for modern, neoclassical or classic designs. Variations of gray are best complemented by a pronounced texture of stone or concrete. If you want to add coziness to the interior, pay attention to the warm colors: terracotta, ocher, clay, rust color, brick, the color of the southern scorched earth.
Unlike standard headsets, mezzanine structures have an additional third tier. This uses a small free space between the upper border of the cabinets and the ceiling. Such typefaces are increasingly common in design projects, and there are several reasons for this.
- There is more storage space – this is especially true for small apartments and small kitchens.
- The absence of a gap between the ceiling and the top line of the cabinets makes the overall look of the headset more laconic and noble.
- Due to the fact that the wall is completely covered with facades, you can save on finishing, and the cleaning process is also greatly simplified (dust does not accumulate between the cabinet and the ceiling).
The lifestyle of a modern city dweller, especially in megacities, is changing. Many processes are optimized, thus freeing up time for a career, self-development and communication with loved ones, including cooking. Someone uses the delivery of ready-made food, someone prefers to eat outside the home. But the fact remains: on average, people cook less, and some even make only light breakfasts at home.
The design of the kitchen in the apartment is also being adapted to these changed needs. Massive structures that take up two walls completely are replaced by compact corner or linear systems with two-burner hobs, hidden storage and a small work surface.
Contrasting two-tone headsets are in vogue. Colors can be split vertically or horizontally, clearly 50 by 50, or according to the principle of color blocking: one tone is basic, the second is accent. The classic version is a darker color at the bottom of the furniture, a lighter color at the top, but no one forbids violating these canons.
A mix of textures will make the color pair even more interesting: for example, stone and wood, marble and metal, MDF and glass. A combination of smooth matte fronts with a pronounced wood texture works perfectly for kitchen design in a modern style. The palette can be any, but a taupe or taupe combo is considered a classic.
More and more often, there are design projects without the top row of cabinets. There are several reasons for this.
- Changing the lifestyle of people and, accordingly, the role of the cooking zone – so many storage systems are simply not needed.
- Such a composition significantly relieves the space, makes it light and airy.
- The cost of a kitchen set without upper cabinets is reduced by about 1/3.
Below is a photo of a kitchen in an apartment in one tier. There are several ways to organize such a headset.
- Leave the wall empty or place an accent hood there.
- Hanging several open shelves is not the most practical solution in real life, so it is better to store decor items or beautiful dishes that are not constantly used there.
- If you are not completely ready to give up the upper cabinets, you can free only one part of the wall.
Actual kitchen interior styles 2023
Despite new trends emerging in the design of the kitchen, the design of this room will remain unchanged for at least several years. Some styles will definitely not lose their relevance anytime soon.
Minimalism can hardly be called a trend – it is a whole philosophy of life without rigid design canons. The direction develops, changes and integrates into everyday life, going beyond the interior.
To keep the kitchen interior design in this style up-to-date, follow these rules.
- Use warm, diluted shades – they add warmth to the room and compensate for the minimum amount of decor.
- Little doesn’t mean boring. Minimalistic interiors work through verified shapes, depth of color and combination of textures. It is the textures that need to be given special attention. Combine cool and warm textures, glossy and matte surfaces. Rough concrete or stone looks great with warm wood and cozy kitchen textiles. To liven up the interior, you can add 1-2 live flowers to minimalistic pots, as well as make an accent apron: lay out with unusual tiles or continue the worktop material.
- Design obeys function, not vice versa. All furniture and appliances should be multifunctional and arranged according to the principles of ergonomics.
People will continue to strive for nature, including within the framework of their apartment. Ecostyle will not leave the list of popular trends for a long time, but, like minimalism, it has already become more of a concept than a set of stylistic markers.
The key idea of ecodesign is the naturalness of all materials. In the top is a tree or its eco-friendly counterparts, which can be supplemented with artificial or natural stone, marble texture, noble metals. There should be a lot of light in the room, the decor is only natural. Earthenware and ceramic dishes, textiles made from natural fabrics, accessories made of wood, stone, bamboo and other plant materials.
Visually, eco-style can be close to Scandinavian interiors, minimalism or boho – depending on personal tastes and the general style of the apartment.
In parallel with the eco-theme, a course towards high technologies is being developed. If you like the cold restraint of futurism, pay attention to the strict and sustained hi-tech.
This style is characterized by the use of rough materials: concrete, metal, glass, artificial or natural stone. Wood – only cold shades, possibly painted. The palette is mainly achromatic: black, gray and white prevail. Sometimes deep shades of blue, purple or brown with a grayish undertone are added to them.
Important: high-tech requires a lot of space and investment. This style is perfect for an ultra-modern country house, penthouse or spacious apartment. It is rather difficult to recreate it in a small one-room or two-room apartment – in this case, it is better to use separate elements, thus making a variation on the theme.
A fashionable alternative to modern trends is the sophisticated English style. This is an interior for decades, in which there is no place for fleeting trends and cheap materials.
The main emphasis is on the noble texture of the wood. It is used everywhere: in a headset, decoration, accessories. The palette can be any, the main rule is no flashy acid shades. There are two directions: the predominance of brown-beige tones – this type of English cuisine is closer to country and is more common in country houses; a rich base color, such as deep blue or dark green, the typeface comes to the fore.
In the decoration, you can use wallpaper with abstract or floral ornaments – for the cooking zone, these must be moisture-resistant coatings.