The most common option for decorating the walls of the hall in an apartment has always been wallpaper. The advantages of this material are obvious – affordable cost, a huge selection of various design solutions and ease of application. In order for you to be satisfied with the result after gluing the wallpaper, you need to responsibly choose wallpaper for the hall in the apartment: photo tips will be an excellent support for you. Simple rules and tips will help you avoid common mistakes. The assortment of the proposed wallpapers is wide enough, and in order to choose the option that suits you, use the proposed photos of the interiors of the hall in the apartment with wallpaper as a guide.
- 1 Types of wallpaper for the hall of apartment
- 2 Sizes of wallpaper rolls and calculation of the required amount
- 3 How to properly glue wallpaper to avoid defects
- 4 Combination of wallpaper and furniture color
- 5 The choice of wallpaper, taking into account the style of the interior
- 6 Wallpaper in the hall in the apartment: color choice
- 7 Combined wallpaper in the hall in the apartment: photos of the best combinations
Types of wallpaper for the hall of apartment
Photo catalogs of wallpaper for the hall in the apartment offer a huge selection of color and texture solutions. But how do you decide which wallpaper you need? First, let’s look at what wallpapers are.
Paper wallpapers are the most popular wallpapers of the last century. It is quite acceptable for gluing in the hall if the humidity in your apartment is low. Of the positive qualities of this type of wallpaper, it is worth noting that they have a huge selection of colors and, at the same time, low cost. Among the disadvantages is not a very long service life, since they are prone to fading in the sun and quick mashing. They are absolutely not to be washed. You can glue paper wallpapers only on a flat wall, since they are rather thin and poorly hide wall defects.
Vinyl wallpaper is rarely used to decorate a living room due to a number of disadvantages. Firstly, they are airtight and have a specific smell that persists for several days after gluing. Secondly, vinyl wallpapers have a rather modest assortment and, at the same time, a high price. In addition, they are not very easy to stick.
Strength, moisture resistance (very easy to wash) and interesting decorative and embossed qualities of the material can be distinguished from the advantages. All these characteristics make vinyl wallpaper the leaders among materials for decorating a kitchen or corridor, but they are not well suited for a hall.
Non-woven wallpaper is the most popular option today. Due to their characteristics, they can be used as a final finishing material, or as a basis for further painting. These breathable, environmentally friendly wallpapers are affordable and easy to clean.
The disadvantages are not a very large assortment and low density, which affects heat and sound insulation.
Acrylic wallpaper is a slightly more durable version of paper. Environmentally friendly, washable, moisture resistant, but quite cheap. However, the range of acrylic wallpapers is much more limited. It is not recommended to glue them in rooms with high humidity.
Textile wallpaper consists of two layers. The first layer can be paper or non-woven, the second – fabric. Most often it is silk, cotton or linen. Textile wallpapers can be divided into two types: woven from a solid fabric or thread.
Such wallpaper for walls looks very good in the hall and at the same time provides a high level of sound and heat insulation. Thanks to the use of natural materials, they are environmentally friendly. Today it is easy to find beautiful textile wallpapers for the hall in the apartment (photos of the interiors only confirm this).
Textile wallpaper is quite expensive. You will not be able to glue them on your own; you will need the help of professionals. They are difficult to maintain, require only dry cleaning, and at the same time very strongly absorb a variety of odors.
Photo wallpaper is the ideal solution if you want to make the hall original and unique. Correctly selected photo wallpaper makes it possible to visually expand the room and hide some of the layout flaws. Today on the market there is a large selection of such wallpapers with original images at a very reasonable price.
Before gluing the photowall- paper, it is necessary to bring the wall to a perfectly even state. It is quite difficult to glue them, so it is better to hire a qualified master for these works. Looking through the photo of wallpaper ideas for the hall in the apartment, you will be convinced of the aesthetic advantages of this option.
Metallic is a two-layer wallpaper. The bottom layer is made of paper and the top layer is made of aluminum foil. Such wallpapers are used as protection against electromagnetic radiation emanating from televisions, cell phones or nearby power lines. They are easy to care for – they perfectly tolerate not only washing with water, but also the effects of various detergents. In addition, this is the most luxurious wallpaper for the hall in the apartment. Photos of interiors presented on the network clearly demonstrate this.
Metallized wallpapers are very expensive, subject to mechanical damage and are airtight.
The liquid wallpaper
Liquid wallpaper is a new, modern type of finishing materials, created on the basis of cotton, cellulose or textiles. Sold in powder or liquid form. Before use, they are diluted with water and applied to the walls with a roller.
Provide high noise insulation, perfectly retain their appearance for a long time, do not fade. Also characterized by high environmental friendliness.
Liquid wallpaper does not have joints and seams that could spoil the appearance of the walls.
This is an excellent wallpaper for the hall of a private house (the photos clearly demonstrate this).
These wallpapers are not very cheap, they cannot be washed.
Glass fiber is a coating option that is distinguished by its durability. For their manufacture, thin threads are used, which are drawn from glass at a high temperature. Glass fiber rolls are white and, after gluing, are painted in any desired shade. You can see how such wallpapers look in the living room by looking at photo samples of wallpaper for the hall in the apartment.
Sizes of wallpaper rolls and calculation of the required amount
Standard sizes of wallpaper rolls (width x length):
- 0.53 x 10.05 m;
- 0.53 x 15 m;
- 1.06 x 10.05 m.
To find out the required amount of material, you can use an online calculator or make calculations yourself using one of the methods proposed below.
Useful advice! Wallpaper with a pattern fit implies a certain amount of waste, so they must be purchased with a margin of 10-20%. The leftovers can be used for pasting the wall behind the radiator or for decoration.
Calculation based on the perimeter of the room
Take, for example, a roll of 0.53 x 10.05 m for pasting a hall of 18 square meters in an apartment (design photos and drawings suggest the most common footage of a room is 4 x 4.5 m with a ceiling height of 2.6 m):
- we calculate the perimeter of the walls: (4 + 4.5) x 2 = 17 m;
- we divide the perimeter by the width of the wallpaper roll: 17 / 0.53 = 32.07, we get the number of required canvases;
- we divide the length of the roll by the height of the ceilings: 10.05 / 2.6 = 3.86, we get the number of canvases we need in one roll;
- we divide the total number of required canvases by the number in one roll: 32.07 / 3.86 = 8.3 rolls;
- subtract the area of doors and windows from the resulting amount.
Calculation using the area of \ u200b \ u200bthe walls of the room
For the calculation in the second way, we take meter rolls measuring 1.06 x 10.05 m, the popularity of which is confirmed by numerous photos of wallpaper in the apartment. Hall 18 sq. m (there is no need for a photo instruction) with walls 4 x 4.5 m and a ceiling height of 2.6 m will be an example in this calculation:
- we calculate the total area of all walls: (4 + 4.5) x 2 x 2.6 = 44.2 m2;
- we calculate the area of wallpaper in one roll: 1.06 x 10.05 = 10.65 m2;
- We divide the area of the walls by the area of the wallpaper roll: 44.2 / 10.65 = 4.1 rolls;
- subtract the area of doors and windows from the resulting amount.
How to properly glue wallpaper to avoid defects
Regardless of what wallpaper you have chosen to decorate the hall, the process of gluing them will take place in several stages:
- preparation of walls for gluing: leveling, plastering and surface treatment with a primer;
- using chalk or a long plumb line, draw a straight vertical line on the wall, which will become a guide for gluing the first sheet of wallpaper;
- then it is necessary to cut the rolls of wallpaper into panels of the required size. At the same time, a stock of 2-3 cm is necessarily added to the required length;
- then glue is applied to the seamy side of the wallpaper sheet and the wall. The glue is applied to the surface with a brush or roller;
- the first sheet of wallpaper is glued along the line drawn on the wall and smoothed with a brush or rubber roller. In this case, the direction of movement should occur from bottom to top and from the center of the canvas to its edges in order to get rid of excess glue;
- all subsequent panels of wallpaper are glued according to the same principle, with alignment along the edge of the previous sheet.
Useful advice! It is better to entrust the gluing of textile or metallized wallpaper to specialists, since certain skills and experience are required to perform high-quality work without defects. It is not worth the risk, given the considerable cost of this wallpaper.
Useful tips to make wallpapering easier
In order for the repair to take place as quickly as possible, and the achieved result exceeded all your expectations, use the following techniques in the process of wallpapering:
- Remove all switches and outlets in the room before starting work. The smoother the surface, the easier it will be to work.
- If possible, remove the skirting boards first. This will allow the wallpaper to be glued all the way to the floor. After the glue has completely dried, the skirting boards are fixed in place.
- Pay special attention to glueing the walls near the doorway and platband. This will provide better bonding in these difficult areas.
- Be sure to wipe off any excess glue. You can use a special composition that does not leave marks after drying.
Combination of wallpaper and furniture color
If the furniture in the living room is light, then wallpapers of various colors and textures, combinations of contrasting options are suitable for decorating the walls. In this case, it is appropriate to glue wallpaper with a large and bright enough pattern.
If the furniture is dark, then you should choose light finishing materials. Walls can be neutral in color, or contain a bold accent color that matches the furniture. Pay attention to the available thematic wallpaper photos in the hall in the apartment. Repairs on many of them were done by hand.
Multicolored furniture initially implies that the main accent in the room will be on it, so the ideal wallpaper color in this case is gray. It will be an excellent backdrop for bright and original furniture. It is better to choose wallpaper without a pattern or with a very small pattern. When choosing wallpaper for a hall in an apartment, design photos will point you in the right direction.
The choice of wallpaper, taking into account the style of the interior
The size of the room is not often enough to allow the creation of a classic interior in it. To create a classic feel, use wallpaper with white, milky, black, red and gold shades with a repeating geometric or floral pattern.
In an effort to create an Art Nouveau interior in the hall, use wallpaper in warm, pastel colors, with characteristic patterns: flowers or patterns, various ornaments. Modern is a suitable style for decorating a hall. The design in this style looks very elegant and at the same time cozy.
Provence is a humble French style that promotes cheerfulness and light. Wallpapers in this style always have a light and warm color base, which is decorated with a small floral pattern.
Country is a simple “rustic” style. When choosing wallpaper for decorating a room in this style, pay attention to light pastel colors. Bright or large drawings will be inappropriate, but a cage or strip is very useful. Photos of wallpaper in the hall of private houses demonstrate all the beauty of the country style.
Silk wallpapers are ideal for Japanese style. The color of the walls should be calm and pacifying, but the patterns on the wallpaper can be very diverse – from cherry blossoms to the image of a fire-breathing dragon. Canvases with imitation of rice paper on the wallpaper in the hall look original. Photos of the interior of apartments in the Japanese style perfectly illustrate the beauty of oriental motives.
Useful advice! With the help of dense wallpaper, you can create imitations of various textures, such as plaster, stone and even sand. For this, use vinyl or non-woven wallpaper of the appropriate color.
Wallpaper in the hall in the apartment: color choice
When choosing wallpaper for the hall, special attention should be paid to the color scheme. With the right shade, you can make the room more comfortable, or, conversely, visually expand the space and make the room more spacious. Before you finally decide on the color of the wallpaper, familiarize yourself with its characteristics and properties.
White is the color of purity, active and cheerful, while in the interior it symbolizes peace and tranquility. When creating a hall design, you can use a white background for bright and unusual furniture. Examples of this design can be seen on the wallpaper photo offered on the Internet in the hall in the apartment.
Black is a complex color. It is rarely used in the design of a hall, as it causes excessive sleepiness, which is more important in the bedroom. A good use of black in a hall is to combine it with another shade to divide the room into zones.
Gray is a versatile color that blends harmoniously with any other shade. It has a large number of tones, the combination of which is a great idea for creating a design. Also, gray can be used for a bunch of several colors, which by themselves do not combine with each other.
Red is a very impulsive and energetic color, its abundance is difficult to perceive. It is recommended to use red elements in the interior only fragmentarily, as bright accents on a universal background color. Red is not suitable for wallpaper for a small room in an apartment (photos presented on specialized sites make this clear). The same recommendations apply to the use of orange in the interior.
Purple has a depressing effect, but this is not a reason to abandon it in the interior. The right shade can go well with another brighter and more cheerful color.
Yellow is an excellent solution for a hall that is not very well lit in the daytime.
Green is a neutral color that has a calming effect. In combination with yellow, it looks life-affirming.
Blue is the color of coolness, peace and tranquility, great for relieving stress after a hard day at work.
Useful advice! If, due to the peculiarities of the layout, the room seems cold and uncomfortable, use wallpaper in yellow, orange or coffee colors. These shades will give you a feeling of warmth and comfort.
Combined wallpaper in the hall in the apartment: photos of the best combinations
Combining several different colors, patterns or textures of wallpaper is a great opportunity to create a unique and inimitable design in the hall, making the interior more interesting and brighter (many photos speak about this). The following tips will tell you how to combine wallpaper in the hall:
- combination of textures. The following combinations are considered the most successful: matte and glossy or rough and smooth surface;
- mix of drawings. Professional designers note the following combinations: geometric pattern + abstraction or floral pattern + stripes;
- combination by color. Perfectly combined with each other: beige / brown, burgundy / pink, olive / orange, green / yellow, blue / white, silver / lilac, milky / golden, gray / purple. If you do not know how to choose wallpaper for a hall in two colors, photo examples will help you decide on successful shades and combinations;
- accent and addition. To do this, one of the walls is pasted over with bright and rich wallpaper (accent), and the other three are quieter (addition), containing elements of accent color (stripes, appliqués, prints, etc.).
Thinking over the interior design and choosing the appropriate finishing materials is a very interesting and exciting process. When choosing a wallpaper, it is very important not to rush and weigh all the available information. Try, experiment and create new and original designs in your living room.